Each year Peninsula Symphony sponsors two competitions to foster excellence in young musicians. These competitions allow students to receive valuable feedback from professional musicians and gives them a chance to win cash prizes and the opportunity to perform for Peninsula Symphony audiences.
Marilyn Mindell Piano Competition
For over a decade the legacy of Marilyn Mindell has lived on in this competition. Marilyn was a tireless and passionate advocate for music education in San Mateo County and was a supporter of PSO for many years.
The Competition features both junior and senior divisions – in addition to cash prizes, the winner of the senior division performs a concerto movement with the Peninsula Symphony on our April concert, and winners of the junior division perform their solo selections in a recital format prior to the April concert.
We are pleased to announce our 2017 Marilyn Mindell Piano Competition
To access 2017 competition rules and forms, click on the links below:
Here is information about our 2016 competition winners:
We are pleased to announce the winners for the 2016 Marilyn Mindell Piano Competition!
2016 Young Musicians’ Competition
Students who play an orchestral instrument have the chance to participate in our Young Musicians’ Competition held each spring. Winners receive cash prizes, and the 1st Place winner performs with the Peninsula Symphony at their June outdoor concert.
We are pleased to announce the winner of our 2016 Young Musicians’ Competition! The competition was held on Saturday, April 9th at Good Shepherd Church in Belmont. Our applicants performed with great skill and talent, and received positive feedback and comments from our panel of distinguished judges.
The Jim McAuliffe Award 1st prize went to 16 year old violinist Jason Moon, who will be featured as a soloist on our Summer Concert to be held on Saturday, June 25th at Hillview Park in Los Altos. Jason will be performing the third movement of Jean Sibelius’ Violin Concerto. This concert is free and open to the public. For more information, click HERE.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
• Student applicants must be participants in their school music program.
• Applicants must be high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors in either San Mateo or Santa Clara County schools.
• All orchestral instruments accepted.
HOW DO I AUDITION?
• Applications must be received by mail or fax by Friday, March 25, 2016.
• Auditions are in the morning of Saturday, April 9, 2016 at Good Shepherd Church in Belmont.
• A non-refundable $20 application fee (payable to the Peninsula Symphony) is due with the application.
• Total audition time is 10 minutes per applicant. Cuts are suggested to conform to the time limit.
WHAT SHOULD I PLAY?
• One solo unaccompanied work (Bach unaccompanied, major étude, etc.)
• One movement of a concerto or major work that can be performed with a symphony orchestra. Concertos must be approved by PSO Music Director.
• Both works together must conform to the time limit of 10 minutes.
WHAT CAN I WIN?
• FIRST PRIZE – $500.00, and a solo appearance with the Peninsula Symphony on Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 6:30pm at Hillview Park in Los Altos.
• SECOND PRIZE – $200.00
• THIRD PRIZE – $100.00
Contact Shahin Maleksalehi, Education & Outreach Coordinator, at , or (650) 941-5291.
2015 Winner John James Ahn, cello