Each year Peninsula Symphony sponsors two competitions to foster excellence in young musicians. These competitions allow students to receive valuable feedback from professional musicians and gives them a chance to win cash prizes and the opportunity to perform for Peninsula Symphony audiences.
For over a decade the legacy of Marilyn Mindell has lived on in this competition. Marilyn was a tireless and passionate advocate for music education in San Mateo County and was a supporter of PSO for many years.
The Competition features both junior and senior divisions – in addition to cash prizes, the winner of the senior division performs a concerto movement with the Peninsula Symphony on our April concert, and winners of the junior division perform their solo selections in a recital format prior to the April concert.
We are pleased to announce the 2018 Marilyn Mindell Piano Competition!
Students who play an orchestral instrument have the chance to participate in our Young Musicians’ Competition held each spring. Winners receive cash prizes, and the 1st Place winner performs with the Peninsula Symphony at their June outdoor concert.
We will be announcing details for the 2018 Young Musicians’ Competition soon. Stay tuned!
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
• Student applicants must be participants in their school music program.
• Applicants must be high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors in either San Mateo or Santa Clara County schools.
• All orchestral instruments accepted.
HOW DO I AUDITION?
• Applications must be received by mail or fax by Friday, March 31, 2017.
• Auditions are in the afternoon of Saturday, April 8, 2017 at College of San Mateo.
• A non-refundable $40 application fee (payable to the Peninsula Symphony) is due with the application.
• Total audition time is 10 minutes per applicant. Cuts are suggested to conform to the time limit.
WHAT SHOULD I PLAY?
• One solo unaccompanied work (Bach unaccompanied, major étude, etc.)
• One movement of a concerto or major work that can be performed with a symphony orchestra. Concertos must be approved by PSO Music Director.
• Both works together must conform to the time limit of 10 minutes.
WHAT CAN I WIN?
• FIRST PRIZE – $500.00, and a solo appearance with the Peninsula Symphony on Saturday, June 17th, 2017 at 6:00pm at Hillview Park in Los Altos.
• SECOND PRIZE – $200.00
• THIRD PRIZE – $100.00
Any questions? Contact Shahin Maleksalehi, Education & Outreach Coordinator, at , or (650) 941-5291.